Monday, June 4, 2012

Light and Airy Red Velevet Cupcake with Your Choice of Frostings

Red Velvet Cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting


Red Velvet Cupcake with Ermine Frosting
     There is a very good reason that I have two different frostings on my Red Velvet Cupcakes, it really isn't that I can't make up my mind. In an earlier post, I mentioned how picky my daughter's grandmother (Debbie) is. She came over from China when she was about 20 years old. While she has learned a lot about American culture and language, there is still so much she has not seen or tried. Red Velvet Cupcakes was one of those things.
     When I decided to make Red Velvet Cupcakes for the Restaurant on Mother's day, I needed Debbie's opinion on them. Last time I gave her something that remotely tasted like cream cheese, she spit it out on a napkin in front of me and threw it away. I was not about to make that same mistake again. Since she loves the Ermine Frosting I use on the Genoise Cake and I read that it was also considered one of the original frosting for Red Velvet, it seemed reasonable I go that route. On the other hand, my mother is the Italian one and anything with any type of cheese makes her happy. I think that a Ricotta Cheese Frosting would have her drooling but I stuck with the Cream Cheese Frosting for her.
     Overall, I think the cupcakes were a huge success. Debbie only allowed 3 of the 20 Ermine Frosted cupcakes to reach customers, she kept the rest for herself. I have never seen her eat that much sugar in such a short time frame. It took her about 3 days for her and her husband to eat them. As for the Cream Cheese Frosted cupcakes, they didn't last long either. Although my mom never got one, I will make up for it with cannoli and she will forgive me.
     Red Velvet is a hard flavor to describe. This recipe makes a cake that is mild in flavor, you can taste the tang of buttermilk, it isn't over sweet but it is light and moist. There really isn't one flavor that takes over and I think a lot of what makes a good Red Velvet is the frosting on top. So here are two really good ones to choose from.
     If you haven't had Ermine Frosting before it is very light, velvety and does not have an over powering sweetness. It doesn't end up tasting like milk and flour so don't be worried about that. To be honest, I really liked the Cream Cheese Frosting and I am trying to think of a cupcake it will go great with. I think Red Velvet has such a mild flavor that the Cream Cheese just takes over. It isn't a bad thing, the frosting is pretty yummy and the customers loved it. I had a lady actually use her finger to wipe some of the frosting off the side of a tray so she could get more of it. That action did have me speechless for a moment, but I recovered and was pretty please with myself for having made something that had an adult acting like a kid again.
     Well enough babbling here, my 10 year old daughter has been kind enough to inform me that I have a bedtime and I am well past it. So, here are the recipes for the cupcakes and frostings, I hope you enjoy them.  

Red Velvet Cupcake
Makes: 24  
Oven: 350 F 20 min  
Ingredients:
 2 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
2 TBS Cocoa Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 1/2 Cup Buttermilk room temp
2 Eggs room temp
2 TBS red Food Color/ I tend to use gel
1 tsp Vinegar 1 TBS Vanilla paste or Extract 1 TBS Vinegar  
Directions:
Sift together Flour, Sugar, Baking Soda, Salt and cocoa in a bowl
 In a mixing bowl beat together Oil, Buttermilk, Eggs, Red Food Coloring, Vinegar and Vanilla
Once liquids are well mixed add your flour mixture and beat just until combined
Pour into cups about 2/3 full.
Put in the over and bake about 20 min. The biggest mistake I have noticed with people complaining about dry cupcakes, is that I watch them take the cupcakes out a little too late and then leave them in the pan still cooking until they are completely cool. Watch your cupcakes I start checking mine about 18 mine in and then every 2 min after. The second my toothpick comes out clean then pull them out. I let cool in the pan 3-5 min and then convert them to a cooling rack. These have been moist every time I have backed them.  

Ermine Frosting  
Ingredients:
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:

In a saucepan, whisk together flour and milk until smooth. Place over medium heat,  stir constantly, cook until the mixture becomes very thick and begins to bubble, 10-15 minutes. 
Cover with plastic wrap or waxed paper placed directly on the surface to avoid a skin from forming,  and cool to room temperature.
In a large bowl, beat the butter for 3 minutes on Med speed, until smooth and creamy. 
Gradually add the sugar, beating until fluffy. 
Add the vanilla and beat well.
Add the cooled milk mixture, and continue to beat on the medium high speed for 5 minutes, until very smooth and fluffy. The mixture will turn whiter in color.
Cover and refrigerate for about 15 minutes. The longer you leave it in the fridge the harder it will become. I leave it a little longer when I need it to hold a shape.

Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients:
1 lb Cream Cheese room temp
2 Sticks Butter 1 Cup
2 tsp Vanilla Paste
4 to 4 1/2 Cups Confectioner's Sugar (sift)

Cream the Butter and Cream Cheese in the mixer until light and fluffy, add Vanilla and then gradually add the confectioner's sugar until you reach your desired consistency. This frosting is softer if you use the 4 cups Confectioner's Sugar but if you place in the fridge for about 15 minutes you can frost and it will hold a good shape with the extra sugar added in.
 
I hope you enjoy these as much as everyone did here. Thanks for checking out my blog. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment