Monday, June 4, 2012

Chocolate Sunflower Cupcake

Chocolate Sunflower Cupcake
This is the perfect chocolate cupcake recipe for me. I don't know how many vertically challenged bakers lacking counter space I have reading this blog but, I know, I fall under this description. If you have ever dealt with a Kitchen Aid mixer, you will know they not only take up a nice amount of counter space but, they weigh a virtual ton. Mine, sits precariously atop my kitchen cabinets almost touching the ceiling. Getting this thing down requires some amount of grace. I get a chair to climb on the counter, then I use my finger tips to wiggle the machine closer to me in order to get a firm grasp. It never fails that my mixer is tilted right over my head before that grasp is achieved. Once I get a hold of it then I can carefully climb back down with my prize in hand. This cupcake avoids all those steps and just uses one bowl and a whisk. Not only that, you won't need to wait on eggs to become room temperature or milk. They turn out light, moist and fluffy every time with a picture perfect dome on top.

The recipe is typically used to make Wacky Cake. Unlike most cakes and desserts you will not use eggs, milk or butter. Although they do not know where the recipe actually originated, it is thought that during World War II there was a shortage of milk and eggs, so wacky cake was born of necessity. Beatrice Fe O'Hearn is believed to be the first to create a recipe and has passed it down thru her family and friends since the 1930's. This is my version.


Chocolate Cupcake
Makes: 15
Oven: 350 F
Cook Time: 18-20 min

Ingredients:

1 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/4 Cup Cocoa
1 Cup Sugar
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1TBS Vinegar
1 tsp Vanilla Paste/ Vanilla Extract
6 TBS Olive Oil
1 Cup Coffee  (You can make this as strong or weak as you want but it does help accent the chocolate and I have never been able to taste it in the cupcake. I use Nescafe instant and only 1 tsp I didn't want it strong.)

Directions:

In a medium size bowl, sift together : Flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
In a 2 measuring cup, I make my coffee, then pour in the vanilla and olive oil. Stir together.
Pour your coffee mixture into your flour mixture and stir just until blended. It will still seem kinda of soupy and lumpy. This is okay and how it should be.
Pour into your cupcake holders and bake for 18-20 min. I do start checking around 15 min in and then every 2 min after. My oven is fickle at times. Don't over fill your cupcake holders, I fill just over half full.
After you take them out of the oven, I usually give them 5 min and convert them from pan to cooling rack.

Butter Cream Frosting

Ingredients:
4 cups Confectioners' Sugar Sifted
1 cup Unsalted Butter
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon Vanilla Paste/ Vanilla Extract
2 to 3 TBS Whipping Cream

Directions:
In a mixer whisk  together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another until smooth and fluffy.
Add vanilla and mix, I add the confectioner's sugar one cup at a time. If it seems to be getting too thick I tend to add a TBS at a time of the cream. Depending on the consistency you want the frosting, you will add more or less Whipping Cream.

Putting together:

Unfortunately, I wasn't thinking about adding petals to my cupcakes until after I baked them. The sides of the holders were too tall for this to work. So, I got Oreo Cookies  (they make everyone happy), and I striped my piping bag with orange gel using a chop stick, This works great for the orange like you see but needs to be repeated after about 6 cupcakes.
  Put a dab of frosting in the middle of your cupcake, then place the Oreo on top. Pipe the frosting around the cupcake making sure to get close to the edge of the cookie.









No comments:

Post a Comment