Monday, June 4, 2012

Fresh Fruit Genovese  or Genoise cake.




    I love book stores, especially when they put books on clearance. Some books are wonderful because they contain useful information that you really need. There are books that are just entertaining to read and you can't seem to put them down, I lost a week to the "Game of Thrones" series. Then, there are books that just inspire you to try something new. That is where this cake came from. I was rummaging through some books at a store when a picture caught my attention. The book was $0.25 and had the best looking cake on the front. I just had to figure out what it was and make it.
   I bought that book over 10 yrs ago and to this day the cake that sits on the cover is still the most requested item I am asked to make. The cake is called many things, in the book it is listed as Genoese and Genovese. I also get Genoise or Italian Sponge Cake. When learning how to make this, I had plenty of disasters in the kitchen. So, before getting into how I make my cake lets go over some easy substitutes. Frustration had me trying a white box mix and added things like , vanilla, pudding, and sour cream to it. I have substituted with a Vanilla Chiffon cake, an Angel Food Cake and regular Sponge Cake. They all worked and all were complimented by all but my daughter's grandmother.
     My daughter's grandmother, Debbie. She is a wonderful woman and I love her dearly even when she makes me want to bang my head against a wall. To say she is picky would be like saying the Pope might be religious. The first time I made this cake for her she loved it. The second time, she said I made the wrong cake, the third time was still not like the first time. I swear, I changed nothing. So, I started using different cakes trying to get the texture she wanted. The texture of Genoise is a little like her Chinese cakes she gets from the bakeries. She is Chinese and likes a much lighter texture in her cakes and does not like anything overly sweet. Liking a light spongy cake does not mean she likes Sponge Cake or Angel Food Cake either. You kind of have to have a spongy cake, that has a cake texture if that makes any sense at all. The  Genoise cakes work and once you learn the technique to making it you will not be disappointed.
     Genoise cake does not use any chemicals for leavening so you be using only the air you create to give the cake volume. It is made with whole eggs that are beaten with sugar normally,over heat to ribbon stage. They are not a fatty cake and sometimes are a little dry, there are recipes that add butter to the batter at the end in order to give a little more moisture but this does result in a flatter cake. This recipe, I don't worry about a dry cake because the fresh fruit will keep it moist and it did not make me beat the eggs and sugar over heat which made this an easier recipe.
I had 15 min to put this together and I would not suggest doing it on a plate without using parchment paper under the rim of the cake as an easy clean up tool. This is my typical cake decorating skill though and why you will rarely see a cake posted here.

Genoise "Irresistible Cakes" Sarah Maxwell and Angela Nilsen

Serves 8-10
Preheat Oven 350 F
Bake Time 30-35 min

Ingredients:

 1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour (sifted)
Pinch of Salt
4 Large Eggs
1/2 Cup Sugar
6 Tablespoons flavoring. ( The recipe says to use an orange flavored liqueur but I use cut my fruit up early and the juice that collects in the bottom of the bowl.)

Directions:
Grease an 8.5 inch springform cake pan, line with parchment paper and grease the paper.
Sift together flour and salt then set to the side. The book recommends sifting 3 times. I sift the ingredients as I measure then once again together.
Put eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat about 10 minutes, until thick and pale.
Sift the flour mixture into the mixing bowl and fold in gently.
Transfer the mixture into the prepared pan.
Bake until toothpick comes out clean, 30-35 min.
Leave cake in the pan for approx 5 min then take out and place on a cooling rack.

Frosting
Choose your favorite whipped frosting, but I use Ermine frosting it is velvety smooth and again not very sweet. It is even great if you want to decorate a little.

 Ingredients:
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:

In a saucepan, whisk together flour and milk until smooth. Place over medium heat,  stir constantly, cook until the mixture becomes very thick and begins to bubble, 10-15 minutes. 
Cover with plastic wrap or waxed paper placed directly on the surface to avoid a skin from forming,  and cool to room temperature.
In a large bowl, beat the butter for 3 minutes on Med speed, until smooth and creamy. 
Gradually add the sugar, beating until fluffy. 
Add the vanilla and beat well.
Add the cooled milk mixture, and continue to beat on the medium high speed for 5 minutes, until very smooth and fluffy. The mixture will turn whiter in color.
Cover and refrigerate for about 15 minutes. The longer you leave it in the fridge the harder it will become. I leave it a little longer when I need it to hold a shape. 
If you will not be serving the cake until later I would put it in the fridge and bring out about 30-45 min before serving. 

Filling and Topping:
 
1 lb of your favorite soft fruit. For color I try and get a variety such as blueberries, black berries, strawberries and Cherries. Grapes, cherries, kiwi, slices of star fruit, and many more options work well. It is up to you. 
Clean and cut your fruit
Place in a bowl together with a little sugar sprinkled over the top. I use about a tablespoon. 
Let it sit and gather juice if you are going to use it to brush on your cake. 

1 1/4 cups Shelled pistachios or cashews, finely chopped
4 TBS Apricot jam/preserves, warmed and strained, for glaze

Putting it all together:
*Cut your cake in half
*Brush bottom half with liqueur or the juice from your fruit.
*The top half should be hollowed out just enough to place fruit inside and have it fit onto the bottom half without any gaps. Brush the inside with your liqueur or juice again and fill with 1/2 the fruit.
*Spread frosting over the bottom layer and then place the top layer on.
* Frost the rest of the cake
* Take your chopped nuts and gently press them to the side of your cake all the way around. 
*Take the rest of your fruit and place on the top of the cake
*Use the strained apricot as a glaze over your fruit on the top of the cake. This will add a great shine, flavor and some sweetness if any of the fruit is still a little tart. 

I know this cake seems like a long ordeal but it is worth it. Even if you are like me and cannot decorate a cake to save your life, this one will end up beautiful. The general idea for this cake is a great one even if you shorten the process and change the type of cake you use or the frosting. If you do try this please give me a yell and let me know what you thought. Thank you.
 


 



 


 



   

No comments:

Post a Comment